Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"I GOT NEXT" YounG FRee





When I first thought of doing a blog site on music, fashion, entertainment, etc... I thought what would make this site more unique than all of the other hip-hop sites in this world? I am a frequent visitor on these other hip-hop sites in this world, and I never see anything on artists on the "Come up". I listen to mainstream music,and I listen to a lot of Indie artists waiting on their next big break! So why not give these artists some "Love", and let you get a chance to know who they are!!! so, here is our first annual "I GOT NEXT" featuring North Carolina Hip-Hop artist YounG FRee. (Pictured above...Editors note- "I dig the Che shirt...)

MindLess Souls- Where does the name come from? There are so many artists with the "young" attached to their name...

Young Free- Well, Thank you for the opportunity(laughs). The Free comes from my middle name, my Grand-parents raised me, and they were in the Nation Of Islam when I was coming up. So Free, was short for Farid, which is a very common Islamic/Arabic name, and it means unique. A lot of my cousins would call me "FREED" or "Free", and Free sounds so much cooler to me. My family still calls me Freed, go figure. The Young is from being compared to Jay-Z a lot early on. I was a Stan, that I will admit. I used to listen to Hov shit every single day, and get the ad-libs down, the breathing techniques, everything. And Jay would say Young alot, and my friends would always call me young, because they knew how much I liked Jay, and I combined the two.

Mindless Souls- I've Heard several songs from you since we first met. And though you are from the South, your music is definitely not.... Southern. Explain?

Young Free- I don't know. I'm not really into Southern hip-hop to tell you the truth. I mean, I rocked with the Southern shit when it first popped off, wit No-Limit, and Cash Money, OutKast, and all of the other Southern Pioneers. But as far as modern Southern Hip-hop, I can't relate to it. I don't feel like i'm not Soutern, I just don't speak on the same shit they do. I don't do the trap music, or any of that. I respect they grind, and they movement, but it's not what I do, so therefore I can't relate. I did see your post, about the new issue of XXL ( Editors Note: I did a post a few weeks back, where I said Hip-Hop was officially dead with XXL putting Oj Da Juiceman, GUCCI Mane, Soulja Boy, and Shawty Lo on it's cover. I still stand by that!) and I see why people would feel that way. Outside of a few artists, southern music is missing the substance. If you look at acts like Little Brother, they bring that, but not to the proper acclaim. I think I aim to have the substance, but at the same time do the kind of music that can be played on the radio. I don't want to be just another lyrical underground artist. I think I don't sound southern from what I came up on. I listened to a lot of East Coast Music, and it has stuck with me.

Mindless Souls- What makes you different than any other rappers trying to make it into the music industry?

Young Free- I think you just answered it. I don't consider myself a rapper, in any way, shape, or form. I feel like I am an artist, that happens to do hip-hop and rap. I write melodies, and hooks, and bridges to go along with those melodies and hooks. I hope for my music to be able to speak for itself at some point of my career. I want to do good Music. I want to definitive Music.

Mindless Souls- Put on for your city? (Laughs)

Young Free- Not at all. Put on for myself! (laugh) I mean, I love Raleigh North Carolina, but the atmosphere here is at an all-time low. The energy is gone! These people act as if they know nothing about good music anymore, I think the melting pot that we were onced acclaimed for has gone away. I hope to restore it at some point.

Mindless Souls- WOW...

Young Free- I'm just being honest fam. There are so many talented artist where I live. We deserve the opportunity to share our music with the world.

Mindless Souls- Do you have any projects coming out?

Young Free- I do. Young Revolution inc has a mix-tape coming out titled "Paid Progrtamming". It's our whole babel, as well as some guest spots from some local artists I rock with. I am also releasing "The Best things in Life are...FRee" will be out in October.

Mindless Souls- Well we dig your music, your movement, and we hope you have a properous future in the music industry.

Young Free- Thank you, and likewise with your site. I really dig this shit a lot.

You can hear Young Free's Music at www.myspace.com/youngfree, follow him on twitter at www.twitter.com/youngrevolution, and you can visit his blog site at www.youngrevolutioninc.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment