Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Indie Review


We are going to try something new on MindLess Souls. Every week or so, we are going to Interview an up and coming Indie artist, post their music on the site. We want to get back in touch with the Indie side of things. Too much commercial bull shit out here, and we at MindLess Souls have always believed that Indie Music was the heart and soul of the industry any way. So our first artist is Privy Terentino. He hails from Raleigh, NC, and recently released a mix-tape titled "Glow Like LeRoy". So... ENJOY.



(here is the Link for "Glow Like LeRoy" http://www.zshare.net/download/74277784259fa77b/)

MindLess Souls- So being a NY transplant, and being in the south, how would you define your style?

Privy- Oh man, I feel as if I have the Best of both worlds you know? As far as appealing to both crowds, and different types of ears to hip hop. My music is really lyrical with a touch of bounce the southern cats can feel as well

MS- What style of music do you prefer? Lyrical, or beat/bass heavy?

Privy-I'm BIG on lyrics and word play, and the ability to create pictures and visuals with your words. Artists like Lupe Fiasco, Wale and J.Cole give the "goosebumps" when they spit because it's so advanced and thought provoking. You also need a dope beat too, but words are more important.

MS-Would that cater to a typical southern Market? Like NC where your at?

Privy- Yes and no. Being in NC is like the gift and the curse. There is no love out here. So many different sounds of music here, but no outlet to showcase it. The radio keeps the same five songs on rotation. It's like the city don't care about you until your a somebody. Some people want to dance, and some people want to hear lyrics.

MS-How does an artist stay "head above water" with that kind of situation?

Privy-It's all about marketing, staying innovative, and branding yourself. You have to think, there's a million other people just as hungry as you, making all different types of music. You have to be "Different", and I know that's cliche, but when your different, people remember your name, that makes them come to you.

MS-You just released "Glow Like LeRoy" tell us about that.

Privy- It's my first solo project apart from the group I been running with. the anticipation if you would say for it was crazy, I didn't know how many people actually supported me until i dropped it. It came out March 28th, and it is a concept mix-tape from the Movie "The Last Dragon". Behind it is LeRoy, and I'm trying to get the GLOW, and become the master, which is my style, and my inner self. Real Deep. lol

MS-How is your music different than others?

Privy-My music is different mainly becasuse my story is different. Coming from poverty, both parents being strung out on dope. This is my way of speaking to people, it's how I sleep at night. This is how I cry.

MS- So, You have a story to tell?

Privy-I have a story to tell, a life to change, and hearts to touch, hence my group, Heartfelt Music, rap is for your ears, music is for your hearts.

MS-So, that's your label?

Privy-It's something i going with a few close friends, that share the same view and passion as me. Great Production, and Engineering too. Vuittion Bond (Producer/Artist) is the Kanye West of NC, especially when it comes to beats.

MS-Can we expect anything from your team in the future?

Privy-Vuttion Bond has a mix-tape titled "Gladiator Armonie", I'm working on my second joint, "HeartBreak Hotel", and my dude Young Free got "The Best things in Life are Free" dropping on 4/20. So, we busy over here. lol

MS- The Scene is relatively unknown. shit, a lot of people don't know J.Cole is from Fayetteville! What's the hold up?

Privy- The Scene is still unknown, As far as J.Cole, he's building slowly, but steady. As far as the hold up, the state, it is full of players, they just need a captain. Everyone is putting on for they selves, instead of being an actual movement, like Miami, or the DMV(DC, Maryland, Virginia) or Atlanta.

MS- So what can we expect from you in the next few months?

Privy-I'm a keep working. The mixtape is fresh out, so that means a lot of promo. I have a few shows coming up, so I am happy about that. I'm starting to work on my new joint "Heartbreak Hotel", and i am shooting a video for my song "D.O.W.N" in May, and I'm also going back to NY to see if I can maket back home.

MS- Last question. Your working on your first album, who's executive producting it? what label are you on? Who are the guest appearances?

Privy- I would be signed to Roc Nation, or G.O.O.D. Music, Kanye would executive produce it, along with some assistance from my man Vuitton Bond. I would love to work with Kid Cudi, Young Jeezy, Pharell, Chris Martin, and Mika Means.

We posted the link for to download Privy Terentino's "Glow Like LeRoy" (It's worth it too! Trust me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment